With the arrival of spring, so too arrives that long list of spring projects, including spring cleaning and home maintenance. To help you get started, here are ten essentials for your spring home checklist:
- Clear and clean gutters and downspouts. While you’re doing that, check for loose or leaky gutters. Improper drainage can often lead to water in the basement or crawl space.
- From the ground, inspect your roof for curled or clawed shingles.
- Check your attic for moisture issues and proper ventilation.
- Have your HVAC system professionally inspected. You don’t want to get stuck not having a properly-working air conditioning unit when the temperature climbs into the 90s!
- Check your basement’s sump pump to make sure it’s operating correctly. Also, consider installing a battery-powered backup.
- Low areas next to the foundation should be filled with compacted soil to ensure that the coming spring rains don’t lead to water in your basement or crawl space.
- Check outside faucets for freeze damage.
- Wash and weather-proof windows and doors.
- Power-wash your siding, concrete drives, and decking.
- Check your gas-powered lawn equipment to make sure it’s ready for service.
What other items do you have on your spring cleaning and home maintenance list?